A crown is a custom-made restoration that completely covers a damaged tooth to improve its strength, appearance and function.
Why you might need them
You may have unsightly teeth caused by chips, decay, discoloration or large fillings. A crown can conceal these defects and repair the tooth so it can be used normally.
How they help
- Can improve the appearance of a tooth
- Can protect and strengthen
- Firmly fixed in place
We offer a variety of crown types including gold and porcelain bonded (with metal). We also offer e.Max crowns, which are made from strong tooth-like materials. These provide the most natural-looking crowns as they are completely metal free and highly resilient. (For more information about these tough, attractive crowns, take a look here) link to Ivoclar website?
How they work
- We remove a layer of the tooth so the crown will fit neatly, but ensure a healthy inner core remains.
- We take impressions of your teeth and record their colour to help your crown blend in beautifully.
- Your prepared tooth is protected with a temporary crown while you wait for your new restoration.
- When ready, we remove this temporary crown and fix your permanent one firmly in position.
More useful information
Care for your crown by paying close attention to your dental hygiene. This will involve brushing with a fluoride toothpaste twice day and cleaning between your teeth.
Remember to attend routine check-ups so your dentist can keep an eye on your crown and the underlying tooth.
A crown offers great protection against further decay, but not at the gum line. It will also not prevent gum disease, so make sure you keep that area clean and free from bacteria.Back to the Treatments page » Fees List » Gallery »